Since Jay is still in Vegas (and because of the stupid snow storm is stuck there an extra three days), I’ve been living my old single girl lifestyle. Basically this means planting myself in front of the TV every night within arms reach of a massive variety of sweets. Just to change up my routine a bit, I figured I’d write up a blog post about some of my favorite TV shows, movies, and desserts that I’ve been watching and eating the past few days (I know I know, sitting down in front of a computer isn’t really much different from a TV, but whatever).
Movies – Now’s the time to get all the chick flicks out of the way! This is what I’ve been watching on Netflix and Starz…
- Notting Hill – One of my absolute favorite movies of all time. The charming Hugh Grant and beautiful Julia Roberts star in this romantic comedy along with a delightful supporting cast.
- The Holiday – I realize this is typically a Christmas movie, but I didn’t get to watch it this season so I’m breaking the rules and watching it now!
- Cinderella – The 2015 live action version. It looked like a gorgeous movie and was fun to watch, but I’d still say the original cartoon, Ever After, and the musical version starring Brandy are my top three.
- Still Alice – I read the book last year and was moved by the story of this women who develops Alzheimer’s and struggles to deal with its impacts on her work and family. The movie is decent, but read the book for an even stronger connection with the characters.
TV Shows – You’ll find some variety in this list, but they’re still probably not shows your boyfriend/husband/brother would pick to watch 🙂
- Hart of Dixie – A classic CW show full of Southern drama. A prissy NYC doctor moves to a small Southern town and all sorts of issues ensue.
- New Girl – Now in it’s fifth season, I’ve been a fan of this quirky comedy since the first episode. There seem to be only “love it” or “hate it” reactions to this show, but I’m firmly in the “love it” camp.
- When Calls the Heart – In absolute perfect timing, the second season of this show popped up on Netflix on January 21! Needless to say I’ve watched 8 episodes since then. I’m addicted to this cheesy but charming Canadian series about a rich, city woman who moves to a small coal town to teach in 1910. She, of course, has a number of coincidental run-ins with the handsome Mountie stationed in the town.
- The Great British Baking Show – It’s amazing how differently the Brits do reality TV. The contestants are extremely polite and supportive of each other and the judges are kind!! I love the ridiculous showpiece creations they dream up and the “intense” challenges where they’re given a recipe without all the directions. It’s the best kind of guilty pleasure.
Sweet Treats – Yes, I’ve eaten everything on this list…on the same night.
- Brownies (from a box) – Here’s my excuse, they expired December 2015 so I figured it was about time to make them. Unfortunately, I had the idea of “being healthy” by swapping some of the oil for apple sauce. Definitely not as good, but I feel slightly better about eating 1/2 the pan already…
- Chocolate Chips and Peanut Butter – Pretty much everyone I know recognizes this combo as my favorite snack. Take a spoon, dip it in the peanut butter jar, then add chocolate chips. Done.
- Turkey Hill Ice Cream – Pretty much any kind will do, but the one currently in my freezer is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I also adore the Peanut Butter Pie and Birthday Cake flavors.
- Gertrude Hawk Smidgens – Jay might kill me for the amount of Peanut Butter Smidgeons I’ve eaten the past couple of days. Hopefully more will go on sale after Valentines Day (because obviously we never pay full price and these will be gone by the time he comes back).
There you have it, a summary of my life for the past few days. I think Jane Austen says it best “There is nothing like staying home for real comfort.”
What would you add to the list? How are you planning to get through the snow storm?