The new year means a new blank calendar that’s ready to be filled with vacations! Up first is a quick weekend trip to Austin, TX. Jay will be there for a one day seminar, so I’m joining him that evening and we’re staying a few extra days. With the zero degree days we’re having in the Northeast, spending a few days in Texas sounds like heaven.
- Drive to Newark and park at Newark Airport Long Term Parking
- Fly United nonstop from Newark to Austin
- Meet Jay at the Austin airport
- Grab dinner then head into the city to check in and find some live music!
- Stay: Hyatt Place Austin North – Central
- 7522 N Interstate Highway 35, Austin, TX
- Hiking at McKinney Falls State Park
- Wine Country
- Salt Lick BBQ – Driftwood, TX (a coworker recommendation)
- Stay: Hyatt Place Austin Downtown
- 211 East 3rd St, Austin, TX
- Explore downtown Austin
- Texas State Capitol
- South Congress
- Zilker Park
- Matt’s El Rancho Mexican – Another recommendation from a coworker (apparently it’s the best Mexican in the city!)
- Stay: Intercontinental Hotel
- 701 Congress Avenue, Austin, TX
- Wake up early for my flight back to Newark
- Fly Southwest nonstop from Austin to Newark
- Arrive back home with plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Estimated Trip Costs
IHG Hotel (one night) Free (credit card yearly perk)
Hyatt Hotel Downtown (one night) Free (credit card yearly perk)
Hyatt Place North (one night) Free (part of Jay’s work expenses)
Parking (two nights) $70
Flight to Austin (United) $122
Flight to Newark (Southwest) 6,600 miles + $5
Newark parking (4 days) $44 (used Ebates to receive $4 cash back)
Do you have any recommendations for places to eat or things to see in Austin?